Special Event

A SERVICE OF REMEMBRANCE

4th November 2017

The 12th/16th Hunter River Lancers will conduct a Regimental Service of Remembrance at St. Peter’s Cathedral, Armidale on Saturday 4 November 2017 to honour and remember the men who fell on 31 October 1917, the 100th Anniversary of the action at Beersheba.

The 12th Light Horse Regiment was raised at Liverpool in March 1915 and was deployed as part of the 1st AIF. The 12th fought at Gallipoli, Egypt, Sinai, Palestine and Syria until the Armistice in 1918.

The Regiment’s finest hour came late in the afternoon of October 31, 1917 when the 4th Light Horse Brigade (4th, 11th and 12th Light Horse) charged the Turkish trenches at Beersheba in the last great successful cavalry charge in military history. This charge turned the tide in the Palestinian campaign and helped to change the course of history.

12th Light Horse Regiment militia originally sprang from the 6th Australian Light Horse Regiment (Australian Horse) which was brought into existence in 1903. Over the next few years the 6th Australian Light Horse Regiment became known as the 6th Australian Light Horse Regiment (New England Light Horse. It carried this title until the divisional organisation of 1921 when it was designated as the 12th Australian Light Horse Regiment (New England Light Horse), duplicating the numerical designations of the AIF unit to continue with their honours and traditions.

During World War Two the 12th Light Horse was disbanded because of the military requirements of the day. After WW Two the Militia was reformed into a new body, the Citizen’s Military Forces (CMF) in 1948. The 12th/16th Hunter River Lancers was raised incorporating the traditions of the 12th and 16th Regiments.

The 12th Light Horse (NELH) was presented with their first Guidon at Tenterfield in 1928, by Mr N.N. Danger Esq of Armidale, and paid for by Regimental Funds. The Guidon commemorate the Regiment’s history. This Guidon was given into the custody of the St Peters Cathedral Armidale in 1990. It is the tradition of the army that colours, once laid up slowly disintegrate and are left to go to dust.